Need a great camping dessert recipe? This Chocolate Cake is made in the dutch oven and is magnificent!
Scroll down for the recipe.
This recipe was a test. We wanted to see if it would cook properly and it turns out that this chocolate cake was just about the best we’ve ever had.
We were skeptical because the brownies we tried before this attempt in the dutch oven didn’t turn out very well. We have tested a few times and finally came up with successful Dutch Oven Brownies.
I knew we had to add something to the chocolate cake mix. Mini marshmallows and chocolate chips came to mind. They gave this cake a gooey wow factor.
We will definitely be making this again. We will also make Dutch Oven Reece’s Peanut Butter Cup Cake too.
While we make this in a dutch oven, I think it would turn out just as well in a regular oven.
Best Chocolate Cake Recipe
This cake is super easy to make from very simple ingredients.
I love taking cake mixes and adding to it to make it into something sensational.
Easy Directions at the bottom of the post.
Like with any Dutch oven recipes, you start by prepping hot coals for cooking.
We highly recommend that you use a charcoal chimney for this.
Dutch Oven Cake
Doesn’t that look amazing? Look at the height of that cake! It was several inches tall.
The chocolate cake was so moist. We loved the gooey spots where the chocolate chips and marshmallows were. As you can see from the comments below, this is a popular recipe with several Boy Scout troops! You do not have to be a scout to enjoy this moist dessert!
We devoured the cake quickly. It was divine!!!
Have you ever made a cake in the dutch oven?
More Great Dutch Oven Cake Recipes
- Devil's Food Cake Mix
- Can of Lemon-Lime Soda
- Mini Marshmallows
- Chocolate Chips
- Create hot coals for the dutch oven.
- Line the dutch oven with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Mix the cake mix and soda together.
- Fold the chocolate chips and mini marshmallows into the batter.
- We used about a half a bag of chips and about a 1/3 a bag of the marshmallows.
- Spread the batter into the dutch oven.
- Place lid on dutch oven, cover with coals, and bake for 24-30 minutes depending on your heat.
- Use your nose to determine when it's baked. We pulled it out at 29 minutes.
- Time will vary depending on the size of your dutch oven and heat of the coals.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 195Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 322mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 1gSugar: 24gProtein: 2g