If you are wondering about How to Make Chicken Fried Rice on a Blackstone Griddle, you have come to the right place. We will show you how easy it is to make hibachi restaurant-quality fried rice on your flat top grill.
This simple and cost-effective Blackstone recipe can be made while camping or at home in your backyard. Tips and shortcuts are included in this recipe tutorial.
We eat a lot of rice. In fact, we purchase our rice in bulk and cook it in a rice cooker. We have a cute little rice maker for our RV when we go camping. Rice is so versatile in so many meals!
One of our favorite meals is fried rice. We are used to cooking in a wok at home but have recently learned of the benefits of a Blackstone Grill. The Blackstone’s surface is perfect for making all sorts of dishes.
Why You Will Love This Blackstone Chicken Fried Rice
This Blackstone Fried Rice is:
- easy to make
- made with low-cost ingredients
- a great main dish
- whole family pleaser
- a fun recipe to make
- easy to double or triple to feed a large family or crowd
- adaptable with different meats and veggies
The best part about this simple recipe is that it goes together quickly so that you are freed up to have a good time doing other camping activities.
Flat-top fried rice is made with these basic ingredients:
- mixed vegetables
- butter and/or vegetable oil
- sesame oil
- soy sauce
- your favorite sauce
- salt & pepper
- optional: green onions and sesame seeds
Questions about the ingredients are answered down below.
How to Make Chicken Fried Rice on Blackstone
There are six basic steps to creating this flat top griddle rice dish:
- cook the base vegetables
- grill the chicken
- scramble the eggs
- add the vegetables
- mix with rice
- add flavor
The instructions below are for a Blackstone or similar flat steel cooking surface.
See our collection of Fire Restriction & Blackstone Griddle Recipes.
Step by Step Instructions
When I was taking a Chinese cooking lesson from a friend, she taught me that you start with diced onion, garlic, and ginger when making a stir fry or fried rice. I started frying up chopped yellow onion, minced cloves of garlic, and minced fresh ginger in oil over medium heat. Cook for a minute or two.
Next, add chopped chicken to the base vegetables. Cook and stir using Blackstone chopper/scraper or hibachi spatulas. If you opt for canned chicken, the cooking time is just a few minutes. Move the chicken over to the side.
Spread the beaten eggs out in a thin layer to scramble. You can also break the eggs directly on the grill. Quickly scrape them to the cooler side of the griddle so they do not overcook.
Add more oil or butter to the griddle before adding the mixed vegetables. Many people use mixed peas and carrots, but we like frozen mixed vegetables with peas, carrots, corn, and green beans.
Once the veggies are hot, add the cooked rice to the griddle. Add the desired amount of soy sauce and stir it all around.
Combine the chicken and eggs with the rice moving it around with the edge of the spatula.
The last step is to add in flavoring. For best results, add only a few drops of toasted sesame oil. It smells so good and it is tempting to pour a lot in, but a little bit goes a long way! Finally, add in your sauce of choice.
Serve topped with chopped green onion and sesame seeds for a complete meal.
Fried Rice Blackstone Tips
Many people like to use jasmine or white rice to make fried rice. We happened to use brown jasmine rice in these photos. It is best to use day-old rice, which is easy to take out to the campground. We take cooked rice out in a zippered plastic bag, which we massage to break up clumps of cold rice before placing it on the griddle. Leftover rice is a great option for this dish.
We use canned chicken breast when we prepare this while camping. Canned reduces the prep and cook time and helps reduce cross-contamination. Anything to make doing dishes easier is how we roll.
You can also prep ahead by cutting chicken breasts or thighs at home, as we did with this stir fry. For more flavor, you can add your favorite sauce, such as teriyaki or sriracha, to create marinated chicken before or while cooking.
Basically, anything you want. Teriyaki, Sriracha, fish sauce, oyster sauce, and of course, soy sauce. We used soy and sriracha in ours, but fish or oyster is most popular in Chinese restaurants.
No, you can use fresh vegetables instead of frozen if you want. The great thing about frozen is you do not have to chop. It is OK if the frozen veggies defrost a little bit in your cooler.
Yes! Bell pepper or your pepper of choice can be diced and cooked with the onion mixture.
Sure, but you will need to chop them up into small pieces.
Rice can be made in a pot on a gas or electric stove or in an Instant Pot. The important thing is to make sure it is cooked in advance.
Yes! A large frying pan, skillet, or wok works well.
The best way to store any leftover fried rice is in an airtight container. Too much food is never a problem with us. 😉
We hope this easy Blackstone chicken recipe with simple ingredients becomes a family favorite. Please share any pictures of your own recipe creations on our Facebook page or on this pin on Pinterest. We would love it if you give the recipe a five-star rating below.
More Simple Camping Recipes
- 4 cups of pre-cooked rice (see notes below or up in post)
- 1-1½ pounds of chicken (fresh or canned)
- 3 eggs
- 1 16 oz bag of mixed vegetables
- 4-8 TBSP butter and/or vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 TBSP of minced ginger
- 2-4 TBSP of soy sauce
- 2 tsp of sesame oil
- 1-3 TBSP of your favorite sauce (Sriracha, teriyaki, fish, oyster, etc.)
- salt & pepper
- optional: green onions and sesame seeds
- Preheat your Blackstone to medium-high heat, approximately 350-375 degrees.
- Place approximately 1-2 TBSP of oil or butter on the griddle.
- Put the diced onion, minced garlic, and minced ginger to the oil, cooking for a minute or two.
- Add more oil and the chopped chicken to the onion mixture and cook thoroughly for approximately 3-5 minutes. If you opt for canned chicken, the cooking time is about 2 minutes. Move the chicken over to the side.
- Add oil or butter to the surface and scramble the eggs. Quickly move them to the cooler side of the griddle as not to overcook.
- Cook the frozen mixed veggies, adding more oil or butter if needed.
- When the vegetables are hot, add the cooked rice to the griddle and stir for about a minute until hot.
- Add the desired amount of soy sauce and stir it all around.
- Combine the chicken and eggs with the rice moving it around with the edge of the spatula.
- Stir in 1-2 teaspoons of sesame oil.
- Add 1-3 TBSP of your sauce of choice.
- Optional: Serve with chopped green onion and sesame seeds.
Use day-old jasmine or white rice in this recipe. We cook ours the day before and store in a zippered plastic bag in a cooler to take camping. Then we massage to break up clumps of cold rice before putting it onto the griddle. Brown jasmine rice is shown above.