Does your pizza-loving family like to camp? Create these pizza sandwiches over the campfire on your next trip.
My kids love pizza. They love all types of Pizza.
They want to eat pizza when we go camping, so we have tried to come up with different ways to make pizzas over the campfire or in a Dutch oven.
Our latest creation is these pizza sandwiches made with English muffins.
Grilling them over the campfire gives them taste that just cannot seem to be duplicated at home. The cast iron pie irons grill the outside the sandwiches to perfection.
Campfire Pizza Sandwiches Recipe
English muffins are such a versatile bread. We love to toast them up and smother them with butter.
We like to keep them special, so we do not buy them for home. But they are definitely in our shopping cart when we are shopping for camping. It is something we look forward to each trip.
We have toasted them over the campfire, pan-fried them, and made these awesome breakfast sandwiches.
This camping sandwich recipe is created in a pie iron over the campfire. You may call a pie iron a pudgy pie maker. Whatever you term it, it’s great for making all sorts of food over the campfire!
You can find the entire recipe below.
How do those sandwiches look? That brown edge comes from oiling the muffins. We like to use spray olive oil, but butter would also work.
The kids love to make these. Our teenage son makes up several and gobbles them down when he joins us out at the campsite.
What would you put on your pizza sandwich?
- English muffins
- Pizza sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Sliced pepperoni
- Cooking spray
- Open up an English muffin and place it with the inside face up.
- Place the desired amount of pizza sauce on the face of each English muffin.
- Sprinkle mozzarella or your favorite pizza cheese on top of the pizza sauce.
- Place three slices of pepperoni on one side.
- Carefully place the top half on top to create your sandwich.
- Spray the outside of each side of the sandwich with cooking spray.
- Place the sandwich inside a pie iron.
- Close the pie iron.
- Grilled the sandwich over the campfire for approximately 4-7 minutes per side or until desired crispiness.
- Carefully open the pie iron and test for doneness.
- Eat and enjoy!
Add variety to your sandwiches by filling them with different toppings.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 265Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 693mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 12g