Are you looking for some Camping Lunch Ideas other than hot dogs and peanut butter & jelly? We have reached out across the web to curate 95 lunch recipes and ideas for your next camping trip or cookout.
Lunch is such an overlooked meal. People are busy and away from home mid-day, often picking up some fast food. Usually, those who pack a lunch go with the standby of a sandwich.
It is no different when camping. Breakfast and dinner are well-planned, but lunch is an afterthought.
People throw dogs or brats on the grill and pair them with potato chips. Cold-cut or peanut butter sandwiches require no thought.
We are here to change that. Enjoy your time at the campground with one of these easy camping meals.
Camping Lunch Ideas & Recipes
The lunch categories are as follows:
Make recipes marked with ^ at home or the campground.
Make recipes marked with * ahead at home.
Camping Pizza Lunches
Pizza is one of the most popular foods. You do not have to have an oven or get it delivered to the campground to enjoy the taste of pizza.
From cooking over the campfire on a grate or in a pie iron to grilling, enjoy one of these variations on this hand-held favorite.
- Campfire Pizza Sandwich – Fill these Pie Iron Sandwiches with pizza sauce and your favorite toppings.
- Frozen Pizza – You can cook your favorite Frozen Pizza over the Campfire.
- Grilled Pizza Buns are a great way to use up extra burger buns.
- Grilled Pizza Bread – Cut up a loaf of french or Italian bread to make this fun Pizza Pull-Apart Bread.
- Rolled Pizza Buns
- Pop a few of these Pizza Muffins* for a delicious hand-held meal on the go. Warm them up in aluminum foil over the campfire.
- Cold Veggie Pizza*
Sandwich and Wrap Recipes
We love peanut butter and jelly, but most people are over it. Mix up your sandwich routine with one of these sandwiches. There is more to lunch than a bologna sandwich.
- Cook up a tasty Reuben-Inspired Sandwich over an open fire.
- Check out two different ways to make Grilled Cheese while camping.
- Mediterranean Veggie Sandwiches^ have hummus and feta cheese, and other fresh ingredients. You won’t miss the meat in this vegetarian sandwich recipe.
- Hummus Veggie Wraps
- These Buffalo Chicken Salad Sandwiches^ travel well for a picnic-friendly meal! You’ll love getting the taste of hot wings on the go in a convenient sandwich recipe.
- Or you can taste hot wings in vegetarian form with these Buffalo Chickpea Wraps.
- Crispy Bacon is the basis of the BEST BLT Sandwiches.
- Or you can mix up the traditional with Smoked Salmon BLTs.
- Italian Grinder Sandwiches are delicious served cold or hot.
- Make a sandwich or wrap with this Rotisserie Chicken Salad^ recipe.
- This Curried Chickpea Salad Sandwich* is a healthy and easy-to-make lunch! It’s made with wholesome ingredients and filled with fiber.
- Enjoy a handheld salad with this Chicken Caesar Wrap^.
- Bacon Ranch Cream Cheese Sandwiches*
- A nutritious Tuna Cucumber Sandwich* combines hard-boiled eggs, tuna, and cucumbers. It comes together fairly quickly and is a great lunch idea for the whole family.
- Copycat Mediterranean Veggie Sandwiches
- Delicious and easy, the Muffuletta* is the ultimate picnic sandwich full of big flavor.
- These delicious Italian Picnic Sandwiches* are full of antipasto flavors and easy to make in advance. Wrap them up and pack them for the next time you venture out.
- Salmon Salad^ is a quick recipe that packs a powerful nutritional punch. You can throw it together quickly at the campground.
- Homemade Uncrustables^
- These crunchy Peanut Butter Sandwich Wraps^ come together in moments and are adaptable – no need to measure exact amounts! Perfect for on-the-go meals and make-ahead lunches, they’re full of nutrient-rich fruits, whole grains, and lots of protein.
- Enjoy Greek salad on the go in this Creamy Mediterranean Chicken Wrap^! It’s filled with creamy, homemade tzatziki sauce, deliciously seasoned chicken, tasty veggies, and more.
- Egg Salad Sandwiches
- This light, refreshing Mozzarella Tomato Basil Wrap is easy to take on all your outdoor activities!
- Wrap Caprese Sliders in foil and bake over the campfire for a delicious Italian taste.
- Prosciutto Pear Sandwiches
Finger Food Camping Lunches
Eating with your hands is fun and the status quo while camping. Check out these easy recipes that your whole family will love!
- Camping Charcuterie – Create a FUN lunch feast with a Charcuterie on the Picnic Table. Download the suggested grocery list printable.
- Protein Boxes make a great on-the-go lunch.
- Pickle Roll-Ups are easy to make and transport. Wrapped with salami and cheese, even kids love these.
- Ham Roll Ups* will be your favorite back-to-picnic solution! Super quick and easy to make, these tasty ranch ham and cream cheese roll-ups are kid-approved.
- Colorful Rainbow Pinwheels^
- Taco Pinwheels^
- Kids to seniors love these Cucumber and Cream Cheese Rolls! They’re perfect for taking on picnics, outings, and lunches!
- Individual Charcuterie Boxes are the perfect lunch to take to the campground, on a picnic, or hike! You can add non-perishable items and personalize them however you like.
- Lunch in a Jar*
- These Antipasti Pesto Tortellini Skewers are a fun on-the-stick lunch.
Salads To Go
Salads, while often a side, make a great lunch. Here are twenty-one tasty salad recipes that can be made ahead and packed in the cooler for consumption on your next camping adventure.
- Made with either cole slaw or pasta, this Crab Salad^ includes a fun ingredient that kids love!
- This Copycat Chicken and Fruits Salad^ is crunchy and packed with nutritious, wholesome ingredients. It’s a perfect lunch for when you are on the go, and it’s ready in less than 30 minutes.
- Easy Tortellini Pasta Salad* filled with pillowy cheese tortellini, juicy grilled chicken, fresh vegetables, kalamata olives, and feta cheese, all tossed in a tangy homemade Italian dressing. A delicious cold summer salad perfect for picnics, potlucks, and BBQs.
- Enjoy the taste of a fast food cheeseburger in this Big Mac Salad^ recipe. It is a healthy spin on the original.
- Strawberry Chicken Salad^ is packed with chicken and cheese, fresh fruit and veggies, giving you a little bit of everything. It’s perfect for lunch, as well as for sharing at family gatherings.
- This creamy, easy Broccoli Cauliflower Salad^ recipe with bacon takes just 10 minutes to make! It’s simple, colorful, healthy, and great for any occasion.
- Enjoy the taste of Mexican street corn in salad form with this Elote Corn Salad*.
- Fresh vegetables and tiny pasta make up this tasty Acini di Pepe Pasta Salad*.
- Summer Fruit & Vegetable Salad^
- Colorful Quinoa Chickpea Salad* packed with protein but no mayo makes it perfect for picnics, camping, and hiking.
- Easy Rotini Pasta Salad^ is a go-to dish for BBQs, camping, and picnics. If you make this cold pasta salad a day or two in advance, toss it with olive oil before serving.
- Orzo Pasta Salad*
- Pack this Herbed Summer Corn Pasta Salad* in a mason jar for lunch on the go! Bowtie pasta includes sauteed red onion, jalapeno, corn with feta cheese, juicy cherry tomatoes, and tons of fresh herbs.
- Hawaiian Pasta Salad* is quick, easy, and inexpensive to make. It’s easy to enjoy a taste of the tropics at the campground.
- This easy Classic Style Coleslaw^ recipe is made with only five ingredients. It is the perfect summertime side dish that’s always loved by all!
- This traditional German Potato Salad* consists of creamy potatoes, crispy bacon, and sauteed onions in a delicious tangy mustard vinaigrette. The ultimate side dish, enjoy this warm German potato salad recipe at your next picnic or campout!
- Greek Pasta Salad* is the perfect side dish for any occasion, made with cooked pasta, fresh veggies, kalamata olives, feta cheese, and homemade Greek salad dressing. We love to serve this pasta salad at a picnic or barbecue.
- Instant Pot Macaroni Salad* is a flavor-filled easy recipe to take out to the campground. It features a homemade dressing mixed with crunchy vegetables and egg whites!
- This Easy Taco Salad is easy to put together out at the campground.
- Mason Jar Thai Salads*
Fun Hot Dogs
Go from boring to extraordinary with one of these clever hot dog recipes.
- Pigs in a Blanket – Use a pie iron or a roasting stick to make Pigs in a Blanket over a fire.
- Bacon-Wrapped Cheese Dogs – Did you say bacon and cheese?
- Get nostalgic with Beanies & Weenies^.
- Campfire Octopus Hot Dogs
- We love Grilled Carrot Vegan Dogs!
- My kids love making Hot Dog Spaghetti Monsters. Cut up weiners, slide uncooked (halved) spaghetti onto the pieces, and boil the pasta.
Enjoy a warm lunch with one of the following grilled meals. No grill? Use a Blackstone or a camping stove.
- Bacon-Wrapped Mozzarella Sticks are great to eat at lunch or as a snack.
- Walking Taco Nachos can be made on the grill or over the campfire.
- Each camper can individualize their own pan of Campfire Nachos.
- BBQ Chicken Quesadillas are a great camping recipe for your next trip.
- Refried Bean Burritos are a quick and easy camp stove meal made with beans, tomatoes, and onions. They are made with easy-to-pack, shelf-stable ingredients and are perfect when camping without a cooler.
- Grilled Portobello Mushrooms can be eaten with a salad or in a bun.
- Grilled Chicken Wraps
Made Ahead Camping Lunch Recipes
All of the following portable foods are best made at home.
- Dehydrate Sloppy Joes at home for easy prep while backpacking or camping.
- The best Southern Buttermilk Fried Chicken Recipe is tangy, delicious, and perfect for camping or a picnic.
- Spam Musubi is an easy, portable meal made with fried spam, rice, and nori. It keeps well and is easy to take along on the go!
- Make this Chickpea Salad ahead and create sandwiches on whole wheat at lunchtime.
- These Sausage, Apple & Sage Hand Pies are the perfect portable picnic or hiking lunch.
- Cheese & Bacon Turnovers are ideal for your next outdoor excursion. Delicious and easy to make, these handheld bundles of goodness are the perfect addition to any picnic, hike, or camping trip. Crisp, flaky puff pastry encases cheddar cheese and smoky bacon, creating an irresistible package of savory goodness.
- Jamaican Beef Patties are perfect for outdoor feasting. They’re filled with a flavorful blend of ground beef, spices, and vegetables, then encased in a turmeric pastry. The combination of spiced meat and flaky pastry makes them an irresistible treat that will keep your energy levels up.
- Turkish ‘Rose Pastries’ are great to make in advance and take along for an easy and tasty lunch on hikes or picnics.
- This Creamy Soup Powder Mix is perfect for you to whip up soup in minutes on camping or hiking trips!
- Onigiri are Japanese rice balls formed into a triangular shape and wrapped with nori! Add any fillings you’d like to this easy meal!
- This simple Bacon and Egg Pie is easy and delicious. With hidden whole eggs inside, it’s perfect for making ahead for a picnic or camping trip.
- Bake an Italian Tart at home and pack it for a unique camping lunch.
- Savory Vegan Muffins are a tasty portable food.
Dips and More
Enhance your camping lunch with one of these great dips or sides.
- Grab a bag of tortilla chips and enjoy the delicious tanginess of Texas Caviar^.
- Forget freeze-dried backpacking meals! This quick and easy Tuna Couscous Bowl is a delicious, flavorful meal for backpacking or camping adventures!
- Roasted Chili Corn Salsa^
- Easy Chunky Guacamole Recipe^
- Mexican Bean Salad^ uses three types of beans and is quick, simple, and packed with protein, fiber, flavor, and texture! You throw a few things together in a big bowl and let it sit for ten minutes.
- Picnic Potato Salad*
- This Asian Coleslaw* with a flavorful peanut dressing is a perfect side dish and tastes great on top of Pulled Chicken Sandwiches*!
We hope you have found several new simple recipes to add to a Camping Meal Planning Printable that you can download from us.
What camping lunch ideas do you have?
More Camping Recipe Collections
- Weekend Camping Menus
- Recipes to Make During a Fire Ban
- Camping Recipes That Don’t Need Refrigeration
- Easy Dutch Oven Recipes
- Dutch Oven Desserts
- Vegan Camping Recipes
Wednesday 8th of March 2023
Thank you so much for including my Grilled Carrot Dogs in your wonderful camping roundup. Can't wait to go camping when it warms up and try a few of these delicious recipes!