Enjoy Camping Pigs in a Blanket made over the campfire with this easy recipe. The kids will love cooking these on a roasting stick.
Hamburgers are hot dogs are among the most popular camping foods. Although, they get a little boring.
Our Bacon-Wrapped Campfire Hot Dogs are a unique way to cook a hot dog camping meal, and now we give you campfire pigs in a blanket on a stick.
How to Make Campfire Pigs in a Blanket
This recipe is quite easy and requires two ingredients: hot dogs and refrigerated crescent rolls. That is it! A good Camping Hot Dog Roasting Stick will keep your wiener from falling off into the fire.
Start out by getting your campfire prepped for cooking. Active flames can burn these quickly, so make sure to have a lot of hot coals. Much as you would with roasting marshmallows.
Place a hot dog on a roasting stick.
Place a hot dog on the roasting stick and heat it up over the campfire. We like to get a few char marks on ours.
Remove the wienie from the campfire and wrap it with one crescent roll dough piece. The hot dog and stick will be HOT, so either have an adult wrap the dough or wait until it cools off enough for little hands to touch it without getting burned.
Massage the dough to get it to stay around the hot dog. This should take around 20 seconds.
Cook the dough over the campfire, rotating it slowly to get it to cook evenly. The dough will rise as it cooks.
Cook it to golden brown perfection. This will take 2-5 minutes.
Carefully remove the roasted pig in a blanket from the stick. Dip in your preferred condiments and enjoy.
Create a Roasting Fork Cover to store your dirty sticks.
Pie Iron Hot Dog Sandwiches
Another option for making campfire hot dogs is to make them in a pie iron. This creates a sandwich shape.
- spray the pie iron
- lay out 2 crescent rolls over one side of the pie iron
- cut a hot dog in half and then half lengthwise
- place the hot dog pieces on top of the dough
- flip the extra dough up over the hot dogs
- close the pie iron
- bake over the campfire
If you are looking for more easy camping meals like these Pigs in a Blanket, make sure to check our Camping Cookbook. It is filled with 60 easy recipes organized into 6 meals plans and includes shopping lists for each menu.
More Fun Campfire Recipes
- Bacon Wrapped Mozzerella Sticks
- Frozen Pizza on the Campfire
- Grilled Pizza Buns
- Campfire Pizza Pull Apart Bread
- Pudgy Pies
- Campfire Cookies
- 1 package of hot dogs
- 1 package of refrigerated crescent rolls
- favorite condiments
Pigs in a Blanket on a Stick
- Place a hot dog on a roasting stick and heat it up over the campfire
- Remove the hot dog from the campfire and wrap it with 1 crescent roll dough piece. The hot dog and stick will be HOT, so have an adult wrap the dough or wait until it cools off enough for little hands to touch it without getting burned.
- Massage the dough to get it to stay around the hot dog. This should take around 20 seconds.
- Cook the dough over the campfire, rotating it slowly to get it to cook evenly. The dough will rise as it cooks.
- Cook for 2-5 minutes or until golden brown.
Pigs in a Blanket Sandwich in a Pie Iron
- Spray the pie iron with cooking spray.
- Layout 2 crescent rolls over one side of the pie iron.
- Cut a hot dog in half and then half lengthwise.
- Place the hot dog pieces on top of the dough.
- Flip the extra dough up over the hot dogs and press down the edges.
- Close the pie iron.
- Bake over the campfire for 5-10 minutes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194