Here is a Dutch oven dessert recipe for Cherry Chocolate Lava Cake. The full recipe is at the bottom of the post.
We’ve been on several camping trips this year. That means a lot of good food made in the dutch oven or over the campfire.
Our favorite dinner has been the Dutch Oven Chicken & Vegetables. This Cherry Chocolate Lava Cake has been our favorite dessert.
Cherry Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe
We’ve made many desserts in the dutch oven over the years. They all have had something in common. They were made with a prepared box mix.
I love taking an ordinary power cake mix and turning it into something extraordinary.
I have to tell you that this cake didn’t turn out as planned. It was supposed to be more of a traditional dump cake like this one where the cake is spongy on top of a gooey cherry layer.
I think there was just too much liquid for that to happen. It turned out to be an outstanding mistake and a camping lava cake was created.
We used a dutch oven liner in our dutch oven when we baked this chocolate lava cake.
They are used whenever we make desserts or something that would require a lot of clean up.
If you’ve ever had to scrub out a caked on Dutch oven, you know what I’m talking about.
This ended up being Eric’s birthday cake. I was concerned that he might not like it because he’s not a cherry fan, but he loved it.
We quickly devoured the entire thing. It was the perfect combination of spongy and gooey.
The family was eating it as I took photos and this is what I ended up with. I’m surprised the plate wasn’t licked clean.
Do you have a Dutch oven? If this hasn’t convinced you to get one.
Check out these other great Dutch oven recipes.
Check out these other Dutch Oven Cake Recipes
- cherry pie filling, 1 can
- chocolate cake mix, 1 box
- lemon-lime soda, 1 can
- chocolate chips, 1 bag
- Prepare the charcoal.
- Line the dutch oven with a liner or spray with cooking oil.
- Open the pie filling and dump it into the bottom of the dutch oven.
- Layer the chocolate cake mix on top of the cherry filling.
- Open the soda and slowly pour over the cake mix. It will foam, but shouldn't overflow if you go slowly.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the soda.
- Put the lid on the dutch oven.
- Place 16 charcoal on the lid of the oven.
- Make a circle of 8 charcoal that will serve as the base heat for baking the cake.
- Place the dutch oven over the circle and let the cake bake for approximately an hour. It might be more or less depending on the size of your dutch oven and the heat of the coals.
- Remove the dutch oven from the coals and enjoy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 98Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 31mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 0g