Here is a camping recipe for Dutch Oven Chocolate Cherry Lava Cake. This easy chocolate dump cake will turn everyone into cherry fans!
We have been on several camping trips this year. That means a lot of good food made in the dutch oven or over the campfire.
We love cooking dinner in the Dutch oven. This Chocolate Cherry Cobbler has been our favorite dessert.
Chocolate Cherry Lava Cake Recipe
We have created many desserts in the dutch oven over the years. They all have had something in common. They are made with a prepared box mix. These include our Blueberry Lemon Dump Cake, Apple Cinnamon Cake, Pumpkin Pie Cake, Dutch Oven Brownies, or Super Simple Chocolate Cake.
I love taking an ordinary power cake mix and turning it into something extraordinary.
This recipe requires a Devil’s food chocolate cake mix, a can of cherry pie filling, a lemon-lime soda, and a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
If you like recipes that use cake mixes, check out our Dutch Oven Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cake.
I have to tell you that this chocolate cherry dump cake Dutch oven recipe did not turn out as planned. It was supposed to be more traditional like this Dutch Oven Classic Dump Cake where the cake is spongy on top of a gooey cherry layer.
I think there was just too much liquid for that to happen. It turned out to be an outstanding mistake and a Dutch Oven Cherry Cobbler was created.
We used a Homemade Dutch Oven Liner in our Dutch oven when we baked this chocolate lava cake. They are used whenever we make desserts or something that would require a lot of clean-up.
If you have ever had to scrub out a caked-on Dutch oven, you know what we are talking about.
How to Make a Dutch Oven Chocolate Dump Cake
This recipe is quite easy to make. You dump the ingredients in layers and then bake.
This ended up being Eric’s birthday cake. I was concerned that he might not like it because he is not a cherry fan, but he loved it and has asked for it again.
We quickly devoured the entire Dutch oven chocolate cherry cake. It was the perfect combination of spongy and gooey.
The family was eating it as I took photos and this is what we ended up with. This is not posed, the plate was practically licked clean.
Do you have a Dutch oven? If this hasn’t convinced you to get one. You can use it to make Turtle Lava Cake, Cranberry Apple Dump Cake, Caramel Apple Monkey Bread, Apple Crumble, or even Rhubarb Crunch.
- cherry pie filling, 1 can
- chocolate cake mix, 1 box
- lemon-lime soda, 1 can
- chocolate chips, 1 bag
- Prepare 24+ pieces of charcoal.
- Line the dutch oven with a liner or spray with cooking oil.
- Open the pie filling and dump it into the bottom of the dutch oven.
- Layer the chocolate cake mix on top of the cherry filling.
- Open the soda and slowly pour over the cake mix. It will foam but should not overflow if you go slowly.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the soda.
- Put the lid on the dutch oven.
- Place 16 charcoal on the lid of the oven.
- Make a circle of 8 charcoal that will serve as the base heat for baking the cake.
- Place the dutch oven over the circle and let the cake bake for approximately an hour. It might be more or less depending on the size of your dutch oven and the heat of the coals.
- Remove the dutch oven from the coals and enjoy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 98Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 31mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 0g