Make this incredible Dutch Oven Chicken & Pasta recipe on your next camping trip. This easy recipe can be adapted with your favorite pasta and sauce.
We are happy to share this new recipe with chicken, tomato sauce, pasta, and cheese. This cast-iron Dutch oven recipe was shared by Carlo F, who gave us permission to feature it here on Let’s Camp S’more.
We make our Dutch oven recipes using charcoal briquettes, but Carlo cooked this using hot coats from the campfire. However you prepare this recipe, you are sure to make a delicious meal!
Campfire Chicken & Pasta
This tasty camping recipe uses the following ingredients:
- olive oil
- pasta sauce
- shredded cheese*
- salt & pepper
*Carlo’s cheese recommendationI like strong cheese, and it will vary depending on what I have. Usually a strong aged white cheddar. My favorite is Tillamook extra-aged white cheddar.
How to make this Dutch Oven Chicken & Pasta recipe
- cook chicken in a Dutch oven
- add in onion and garlic
- mix in tomato sauce
- add in pasta
- add the cheese
Dutch Oven Tip
When making a Dutch oven recipe with a tomato base, use a well-seasoned pot. Tomatoes are acidic, so you will need to reseason the pot afterward.
Start out by heating up your Dutch oven over a campfire. Use coals created by the fire, not active flames.
Boil your pasta (rigatoni was used in this recipe) until it is half done. Drain and rinse with cold water. This can be done in the cast iron or another pot.
Chop the boneless, skinless chicken breasts into large chunks and cook in the Dutch oven with a mix of butter and olive oil. Stir the chicken so that it cooks evenly.
Add in the chopped onion and saute for a few minutes.
Put in the garlic and keep cooking.
Add tomato or pasta sauce. This can be homemade or store-bought. Carlo used homemade.
Let the pot simmer for a bit, then season with salt and pepper.
Stir the half-cooked pasta and shredded cheese into the pot.
Pull the pot out of the fire. Put on the lid and add coals on top. Let it cook for approximately 10 minutes.
Please note: This shows the pot in the fire, but the recipe burned a little on the bottom, so removal is recommended.
How good does that look? Thanks go out to Carlo for sharing this great Dutch Oven Chicken & Pasta recipe with us and you.
Check out the following Dutch Oven Recipes:
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 TBSP cup butter
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 oz pasta sauce
- 12 oz pasta, rigatoni or your favorite
- 1-2 cups shredded cheese*
- salt & pepper to taste
- Boil the pasta for half the recommended time to partially cook it. Rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Heat up the Dutch oven over coals created by the campfire or over 10-12 prepared charcoal briquettes.
- Cut the chicken into large chunks.
- Begin cooking the chicken with butter and olive oil in the cast iron pot, stirring often.
- After a few minutes add the onion and cook.
- Add in the garlic and cook another minute or two.
- When the chicken is nearly cooked, add in the pasta sauce and stir, letting is simmer for a few minutes.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Mix in the half-cooked pasta and the cheese.
- Remove the pot from the coals.
- Add the lid to the pot and pile the coals or briquettes on top.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
A strong cheese is recommended, such as an extra-aged white cheddar.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 362