Enjoy this Dutch Oven Dump Cake recipe, which is a spin on the classic but made while camping. It definitely tastes better than the original!
Who loves eating dessert while camping? This campfire dump cake is one of our very favorite camping desserts.
This recipe is so easy to make in a Dutch oven! It is just one dutch oven dump cake recipe in our collection.
Dutch Oven Cherry Dump Cake Recipe
The ingredients for this camping dessert are really easy. You just need a yellow cake mix, cherry pie filling, and a lemon-lime soda. Pecans and crushed pineapple are optional.
Get the full Dutch oven cake recipe is at the bottom of the post.
Light charcoal hot coals for the dutch oven. This is how we start all our dutch oven recipes.
Line the dutch oven with foil and spray with some cooking spray. You can also create your own Dutch oven liners using this tutorial.
Dump the pie filling into the bottom of the dutch oven.
Dutch Oven Dump Cake with Soda
Mix the cake mix and soda together in another bowl and pour over the cherry filling.
Sprinkle the pecans on top. I just covered half since some of our eaters wanted it without.
Place lid on dutch oven, cover with coals and bake for 20-25 minutes depending on your heat.
Use your nose to test for doneness. We could really smell a strong baking smell and when we pulled it around 23 minutes. It turned out perfectly!
If you can smell a burning smell, then you’ve baked it too long.
The filling was really hot, but that didn’t stop everyone from devouring it.
This is NOT a posed photo below. It was so delicious that we were practically fighting over it.
Yummier than made in a conventional oven!
Dutch Oven Pineapple Dump Cake
A classic dump cake is made with a can of crushed pineapple. We tried using a full can of both pie filling and crushed pineapple and discovered that it was too wet for the cake to cook properly.
If you want to include it, just use a half of a can of crushed pineapple and half of a can of cherry pie filling.
- Can of cherry pie filling or half can of cherry pie filling and half can of crushed pineapple
- Yellow Cake Mix
- Can of Lemon-Lime Soda
- optional: Chopped Pecans
- Use a charcoal chimney to prep coals for the Dutch oven.
- Line the Dutch oven. You can use foil, which will also need some cooking spray or you can use parchment liners.
- Dump the pie filling or half pie filling and half crushed pineapple into the bottom of the Dutch oven.
- Mix the cake mix and soda together in another bowl.
- Spread the cake batter over the cherry filling.
- If desired, sprinkle the pecans on top.
- Place lid on the Dutch oven.
- Place 8 coals under the oven and 12 on the lid.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes depending on your heat.
- Use your nose to test for doneness. We baked ours for 23 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 334Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 335mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 2gSugar: 24gProtein: 3g