Enjoy this Dutch Oven French Toast Casserole as your next camping breakfast.
We love using our Dutch oven when we camp. It always makes food taste better than if we cooked it at home.
We own two cast iron Dutch ovens. Actually, we have joint custody of these ovens. They belong to our friend, Claire. Who likely will never use them again. She told us to hold onto them. Fine by us!
This is the second Dutch oven breakfast casserole that we have shared with you. The other one is our Mountain Man Breakfast, which can be made with your choice of meat and potatoes.
Dutch Oven French Toast Recipe
This French Toast Casserole is very easy to make. You have the option of putting it together the night before and letting the egg mixture soak into the bread. We have made it both ahead of time and in the morning, and both were delicious. The overnight version is moister.
I forgot to pack heavy cream, so we made it with vanilla coffee creamer. It was quite tasty. If you use a flavored creamer, I recommend that you cut the vanilla in half. You can scroll down to the bottom of the post to get the recipe.
As you can see, the casserole turned out well. It has plenty of flavor, so syrup is optional. What flavor creamer would you use in this breakfast recipe?
More Dutch Oven Recipes
- 1 loaf day-old French bread
- 6 eggs
- 1.5 cups of coffee creamer or heavy cream
- 1-2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- Prepare 18+ pieces of charcoal for the Dutch oven.
- Line the Dutch oven. We used foil, but you can use DIY liners instead.
- Cut the French bread into small cubes and place in the oven.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of cinnamon on top of the bread.
- Make the egg mixture by combining the eggs, cream, vanilla, the remaining cinnamon, and the sugar and salt.
- Thoroughly mix the egg mixture and pour over the bread.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and scatter them over the bread.
- Place the lid on the Dutch oven.
- Place 8 coals under the Dutch oven and 12 on top and bake for 30-50 minutes.
- We recommend checking the casserole a little early if you use more coals or the weather is warm.
If using flavored creamer, cut the vanilla in half.
Overnight option: Soak the cubed bread in the egg mixture in plastic bag stored in the cooler.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 361 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 159mg Sodium: 622mg Carbohydrates: 41g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 8g Protein: 12g