Need a simple recipe for your next camping trip? Try this Dutch Oven Pizza Recipe made with refrigerated or homemade pizza dough.
We love baking things in our Dutch oven. We love to dump in ingredients and then set it to cook.
Many simple recipes just taste better prepared over the fire or in cast iron. This Campfire Dutch Oven Pizza is no exception.
This easy recipe is fun to make. Get the kids to put it together while you prepare the charcoal.
How to Make Dutch Oven Pizza
Baking a pizza in a cast-iron pot is much like making it at home, but the heat source is different. To make pizza you need to:
- prepare the charcoal
- line the Dutch oven
- press dough into bottom of the oven
- top with tomato sauce
- cover with pizza cheese
- add toppings
Campfire Pizza Ingredients
This recipe uses the following ingredients:
- refrigerated pizza dough
- pizza sauce
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- your favorite toppings (pepperoni slices, sausage, mushrooms, onion, black olives, bell peppers)
Start by preparing charcoal briquettes, which provide the heat for the Dutch oven. For ease, use instant light charcoal and/or a charcoal chimney.
We prepare 25+ coals for our 10″ dutch oven. Preparing extra coals is always a good idea.
Dutch Oven Cooking Tip
Preheating your cast-iron pot and lid speeds up the baking time.
This can be done with extra briquettes or with campfire coals.
For ease of pizza removal and cleaning, spray the pot with olive oil cooking spray or use homemade Dutch oven liners.
Pizza Dough Options
Refrigerated pizza dough is the quickest way to make this recipe. You can also use a box pizza dough mix that only requires warm water for a crispy crust.
Homemade dough is another great option for camping pizza. We like this pizza dough recipe. Prep your own dough at home or make it out at the campsite.
A thicker tomato sauce (think paste) works best with homemade dough.
Assemble the Pizza
Roll dough out and press it into the bottom of the Dutch oven, leaving a little lip around the edge.
Spread pizza sauce on the dough to the edge of the lip. We find that a little bit goes a long way!
Cover the sauce with generous amounts of mozzarella cheese and top with your favorite pizza toppings. Sprinkle with some parmesan cheese for added flavor.
Close up the Dutch oven.
Arrange 8 pieces of prepared charcoal in a small circle and place the oven over the circle.
Arrange 17 coals on the Dutch oven lid.
Turn the lid a quarter turn one way and the pot the other at the 10-minute mark for even baking.
Bake for 20-30 minutes. Use a lid lifter to check that the pizza crust is golden brown.
This Campfire Dutch Oven Pizza recipe turned out really well. It is amazing how cast iron elevates the taste of simple dough creating a delicious pizza. You can even make Frozen Pizza over the Campfire.
Mix up the type of sauce, cheese, and toppings to make your favorite kind of pizza the next time you camp.
More Dutch Oven Recipes
Get our Favorite Camping Recipes eBook for $7
- 1 tube of refrigerated pizza dough (see notes)
- pizza sauce
- shredded pizza cheese
- sliced pepperoni or toppings of choice
- Prepare 25+ charcoal briquettes for your Dutch oven.
- Cover the inside of the Dutch oven with oil spray or use a Dutch oven liner.
- Roll out the pizza dough and press it into the bottom of your oven leaving a little lip around the edge.
- Spread pizza sauce on the dough up to the lip.
- Cover the sauce with cheese.
- Top with your desired toppings.
- Place the lid on the dutch oven.
- Arrange 8 prepared coal in a small circle and place the oven over it.
- Place 17 hot coals on the lid of the Dutch oven.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, rotating the lid and pot in opposite directions halfway through baking.
Instead of refrigerated dough, use a just-add-water pizza crust mix, or homemade pizza dough of your choice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 142