See how easy it is to make a Campfire Pizza using a favorite frozen food. Your family will love making this on your next camping trip.
If you have read our blog much, you will notice that we like food that is easy to prepare. Just because a recipe is easy, does not mean it lacks taste!
This simple camping food hack of frozen pizza while camping is not only easy to prepare, it is fun.
This brilliant idea came from our camping friends Peggy and Paul. They are one of her favorite couples to camp with. Peggy has already contributed three recipes to this blog. Her Rhubarb Crunch is a favorite, but you will also like her Apple Crumble.
If you want a dessert that is just as fun as this camping pizza, then check out Peggy’s Campfire Cookies.
Do you have a camping recipe, hack, or mod that you would like to share with us? Check out our Mod Squad to see how you can be featured here at Let’s Camp S’more or on our social channels.
How to Make a Campfire Pizza
Everyone loves pizza, but how do you heat up a frozen pizza when you are camping? Simple, cook it over the campfire.
Placing a frozen pizza straight on the grate over the campfire does not work because the top will not cook. Peggy and Paul like to cook individual pieces of pizza in a pie iron.
Bring your favorite frozen pizza out to the campground with you. The pizza will thaw a little bit in the cooler but that is okay because it is easier to cut it before you cook it.
We like to add onion and peppers to our pie iron pizza before baking. It makes the campsite smell like a pizzeria!
We strongly recommend that you get a pie iron that is made out of cast iron. It is going to give you a better cook on anything that you cook within it. Look at the crispiness it added to our crust.
How fun is this simple cooking hack? It takes an ordinary cheap frozen pizza in makes it tastes fantastic. While you have your pie iron out, make some Breakfast Sandwiches, Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, or Reuben Sandwiches.
We want to thank our camping buddies for sharing how to cook a pizza over a campfire with us. We can’t wait until we camp together again!
Enjoy some Pudgie Pies for dessert.
- frozen pizza
- Create a campfire and let it burn down until you have hot coals with minimal flame.
- Cut two pieces of parchment paper to fit inside your (cast iron) pie iron.
- Slice up the pizza into pieces that will fit inside your pie iron. Small edge pieces can be placed together in one pie iron.
- Add any desired extra toppings to slices of pizza. We like to add onions and peppers.
- Sandwich a piece of pizza in between the pieces of parchment paper and place inside the pie iron.
- Cook the pizza over the campfire until desired crispiness. We start with 4-5 minutes per side.
- Carefully open the pie iron to check to see if the pizza is done.
- Bake longer if you want the cheese to melt more or the crust to get crispier.
The frozen pizza will thaw in the cooler but that is okay because it will be easier to cut it before you cook it.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.