Do you love pumpkin pie? Make this Pumpkin Pie Cake recipe while camping or at home. The recipe is at the bottom of the post.
I love fall camping! I get to layer up in warm clothes, poke sticks in the campfire, and enjoy really great camping food. We plan on going out a few times this autumn here in Illinois.
Diana created this Pumpkin Pie Cake in the dutch oven. Our neighbors happened to be camping at the same campground and got to enjoy this tasty dessert with us.
Pumpkin Pie Cake Recipe
This recipe is really easy to make. The ingredients are pretty basic. You need a yellow cake mix, pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, lemon-lime soda, eggs, pecans, and pumpkin pie spice.
The recipe is made by preparing the pumpkin pie ingredients and pouring it into a dutch oven.
Then the remaining ingredients are dumped on top.
We prepare our charcoal with one of these charcoal chimneys. They allow you to quickly prepare the charcoal without using any lighter fluid.
This is the configuration we used with the prepared charcoal for the dutch oven.
The pumpkin pie cake takes about 45-60 minutes to bake. You can lift the lid to check for doneness.
This camping dessert is a sponge cake layered on top of a baked pumpkin pie.
Our neighbors really liked the cake, especially the pecans. This would make a great dessert for Thanksgiving.
You can place the dutch oven in your regular oven, you just want to reduce the baking time.
The cake would be terrific topped with some whipped cream or vanilla ice cream but was certainly delicious without.
Do you have a dutch oven? Are you going to make this camping dessert?
Check out these other Dutch Oven Cake Recipes
- 1 can pumpkin puree (15 oz)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 yellow cake mix
- 1/2 can lemon-lime soda
- 1 cup pecans
- Prepare the charcoal.
- Line the dutch oven with a liner or spray with cooking oil. A dutch oven liner will make clean up so much easier!
- Mix the pumpkin puree, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, and pumpkin pie spice in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into the bottom of the dutch oven.
- Sprinkle the yellow cake mix over the pumpkin.
- Open the can of lemon-lime soda and slowly pour half over the cake mix.
- Sprinkle the pecans on top.
- Place the the lid on the dutch oven.
- Place 16 charcoal on the lid of the oven.
- Make a circle of 8 charcoal that will serve as the base heat for baking the cake.
- Place the dutch oven over the circle and let the cake bake for approximately 45 minutes to an hour. It might be more or less depending on the size of your dutch oven and the heat of the coals.
- Remove the dutch oven from the coals and enjoy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 132Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 169mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 2g