Have you ever prepared a roasted chicken over a fire? It is pretty easy and it tastes amazing!
We are very excited to share a fun recipe with you. It is one of those things that we wish we had done sooner. We prepared a whole roasted chicken in a campfire.
This chicken is incredibly easy and very tasty. We were blown away by how moist it was.
Now it is the only way we want to eat chicken. Try it for yourself the next time you camp.
This low carb camping recipe is perfect for people on a keto diet.
Campfire Roasted Chicken Recipe
All that is needed for this recipe is a whole chicken, oil, spices, and aluminum foil.
You can use any spices you want. We like to make ours with onion flakes, salt or seasoning salt, and pepper or lemon pepper.
The key to this recipe is plenty of foil.
We used heavy duty aluminum foil and wrapped the chicken 6 times.
Olive oil or butter can be rubbed on the chicken before adding the spices. This will help the spices stick and make the skin more crispy.
Build your campfire up before starting this chicken. It is important to make sure it is nice and hot!
As you can see, we cooked the chicken right in the middle of a roaring fire. We used these fire starters to get the fire going.
We added more logs to the fire as the chicken cooked. We had to keep a close eye on the fire to keep it strong.
If you put enough foil around the chicken it will not burn.
The roasted chicken was outstanding! In fact, we are camping again this weekend and have in on the menu.
Eric wishes that we had a firepit here at home to make it in.
The skin was so crispy! Have you ever prepared a chicken this way?
- whole chicken
- heavy duty foil
- Remove the packaging and any innards from the chicken.
- Place the whole chicken on a large piece of foil.
- Cover the entire chicken with oil. For ease of application, we used olive oil spray.
- Cover the entire chicken with the spices of your choice. We used garlic salt, pepper, seasoning salt, and onion flakes. Be generous with the spices! We wish we had put more on our chicken.
- Wrap the foil tightly around the chicken.
- Wrap the chicken in an additional four or more layers of foil.
- Place in the campfire.
- Flip over the chicken after 15 minutes.
- Flip it again after another 15 minutes.
- Continue to tend to the fire flipping the chicken every 20-30 minutes.
- We had a small chicken and cooked it for a total of 2 hours.
- Cooking time will vary depending on the size of your chicken, but make sure it's cooked long enough. You may cut into the chicken to make sure it's cooked or use a meat thermometer.
- Pull the chicken out of the fire and give the foil a few minutes to cool off.
- Unwrap the chicken and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 261Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 82mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 27g