Enjoy this delicious and easy Dutch Oven Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake on your next outing. This easy Dutch oven cake includes peanut butter cups and Reese’s pieces.
One of the top requests that we get is for camping desserts. Since so many people love chocolate, we have a new Dutch oven recipe for you that utilizes a cake mix.
If you do not have one, we highly recommend that you purchase a Dutch Oven for camping. They can be used to bake so many delicious foods when you are camping, especially desserts.
Dutch Oven Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake Recipe
This rich cake uses one of the most popular candies out there. Yes, we are talking about Reece’s! I guess you can say that it is a Reece’s Peanut Butter Cups Cake.
This chocolate cake recipe requires six ingredients.
- Chocolate cake mix
- Chocolate pudding
- Peanut butter
- Peanut butter cups
- Reece’s Pieces
How to Make the Best Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake
While this is not exactly a dump cake, like our Chocolate Cherry Lava Cake, it is just as easy to make.
- Mix the pudding
- Add the cake mix
- Add the peanut butter
- Stir in the peanut butter cups
- Put batter into a lined Dutch oven
- Cover with Reese’s Pieces
In a large bowl mix up the pudding according to the package directions. You can also use half of the milk and add the other half in later if you wish.
Pour the entire cake mix into the pudding. Add in the peanut butter and mix it all up.
Fold in your chopped peanut butter cups. I prefer to use the Mini Reece’s Peanut Butter Cups because they are thicker, but the classic cups work just as well. Save yourself a step and purchase cups that are not individually wrapped. I got mine at Aldi.
Line the Dutch oven with a baking liner. You can make your own Dutch Oven Liners or purchase them here.
Pour the chocolate peanut butter cake batter into the lined Dutch oven and evenly spread it out.
Sprinkle a package of Reese’s Pieces over the top of the batter.
Place the lid on the Dutch oven. Place 8 prepared charcoal bricks under the oven and 12 on the lid. You might need to adjust those coal numbers up or down a little depending on the weather.
Bake the cake for 25 to 30 minutes.
Dutch Oven Tip
Facing burn restrictions? Use a Dutch oven on a gas or charcoal grill. If the grill has a lid, there is no need for the lid of the Dutch oven.
Reece’s Peanut Butter Cup Cake Baking Tips
Can I make this camping cake at home?
Yes! Preparation for this cake is the same, but you will bake it in a 350ﾟoven for 25 to 30 minutes. This can be baked in a regular baking container.
How do I store the leftover cake?
Silly question, because there will not be any leftovers. No, seriously. We wrap any extras in the liner that it was baked and store it in a cool place.
Can I use crunchy peanut butter?
Yes, that would be quite delicious.
Can I add more candy?
What other Dutch Oven cake recipes do you have?
- Classic Dump Cake
- Lemon Blueberry Dump Cake
- Rhubarb Crunch
- Strawberry Cheesecake Cobbler
- Apple Crumble
- Cranberry Apple Crisp
- Pumpkin Angel Food Cake
We hope you love this Dutch Oven Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake as much as we do!
- Devil's Food chocolate cake mix
- Instant chocolate pudding mix (3.9 oz)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup of peanut butter
- Peanut butter cups
- Reece’s Pieces
- Light and prepare 20+ pieces of charcoal to heat your Dutch oven.
- Place a liner in the Dutch oven and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the instant pudding and milk together.
- Add in the cake mix and peanut butter.
- Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Chop the peanut butter cups and fold into the cake mix.
- Put the cake batter into the lined Dutch oven and smooth out.
- Sprinkle Reece's Pieces on top of the batter.
- Put the lid on the Dutch oven.
- Place eight pieces of charcoal in a small circle. Place the cast-iron oven over the circle.
- Spread out 12 pieces of charcoal on top of the lid of the Dutch oven.
- Bake the cake for 25-40 minutes. I like to use the nose test, when I get a strong scent of chocolate and peanut butter, then it is probably done.
Make this recipe at home in a 9x13 dish in a 350° oven for 25-35 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 288