Here is a fun pie iron recipe inspired by the classic Reuben sandwich that is made over a campfire. These individual sandwiches can be customized for each person.
Recently we went to a camping rally. The campground was full, so we ended up squatting on someone’s campsite. We became fast friends with these people and they share some of their favorite camping recipes with us. The first one I want to share is their grilled Reuben sandwich made in a pie iron. I never fancied Reubens before, but I love them now!
Campfire Reuben Sandwich Recipe
This recipe is made with the traditional items found in a Reuben sandwich, plus a few added ingredients.
Here is the step by step process shown in photos.
I have to admit that we have not used our pie irons very much. In fact, we’ve only made pies in them. I learned how versatile they are, so I am going to be preparing more food in them as we camp this summer. Have you ever made anything in a pie iron?
I want to thank Christina & Sean for allowing us to take over their campsite, sharing many food ideas, and letting me take photos of their food to post.
- pumpernickel bread
- thousand island dressing
- swiss cheese slices
- corn beef, sliced
- onion, optional
- cooking spray
- pie irons
- Get your campfire prepared to cook on.
- Spray the inside of your pie iron with cooking spray.
- Press a piece of pumpernickel bread into each side of the iron.
- Spread the desired amount of thousand island dressing on each piece of bread.
- Pile one side of the pie iron with corn beef, swiss cheese, sauerkraut and/or onion if desired.
- Carefully close the pie iron and grill it over the campfire until the cheese has melted and the bread is nice and toasty.
This first appeared on Diana Rambles on 24 May 2016