Does your pizza-loving family like to camp? Create these Campfire Pizza Sandwiches over the fire on your next trip.
My kids love pizza. They love all types of Pizza.
They want to eat pizza when we go camping, so we have tried to come up with different ways to make pizzas over the campfire or in a Dutch oven.
Our latest creation is a pizza sandwich made with English muffins. It is sure to be one of the best camping sandwiches that you’ve ever tasted!
Grilling them over the campfire gives them taste that just cannot seem to be duplicated at home. The cast iron pie irons grill the outside the camp sandwiches to perfection.
Campfire Pizza Sandwiches Recipe
English muffins are such a versatile bread. We love to toast them up and smother them with butter.
We like to keep them special, so we do not buy them for home. But they are definitely in our shopping cart when we are shopping for camping. It is something we look forward to each trip.
We have toasted them over the campfire, pan-fried them, and made these awesome breakfast sandwiches.
This campfire pizza sandwich recipe is created in a pie iron over the campfire. You may call a pie iron a pudgy pie maker. Whatever you term it, it’s great for making all sorts of food over the campfire!
You can find the entire recipe below.
How do those campfire sandwiches look? That brown edge comes from oiling the muffins. We like to use spray olive oil, but butter would also work. You will also like these Reuben Camping Sandwiches.
The kids love to make these. Our teenage son makes up several and gobbles them down when he joins us out at the campsite. He likes to follow these up with Pie Iron Cookies.
What would you put on your pie iron pizza sandwich?
- English muffins
- Pizza sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Sliced pepperoni
- Cooking spray
- Spray the outside of each side of each muffin with cooking spray.
- Open up an English muffin and place it with the inside face up.
- Place the desired amount of pizza sauce on the face of each English muffin.
- Sprinkle mozzarella or your favorite pizza cheese on top of the pizza sauce.
- Place three slices of pepperoni on one side.
- Carefully place the top half on top to create your sandwich.
- Place the sandwich inside a pie iron.
- Close the pie iron.
- Grilled the sandwich over the campfire for approximately 4-7 minutes per side or until desired crispiness.
- Carefully open the pie iron and test for doneness.
- Eat and enjoy!
Add variety to your sandwiches by filling them with different toppings.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 265Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 693mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 12g