Create campfire S’mores Nachos on your next camping trip. These can also be made on the grill or in the oven at home.
S’mores are the best! All that melted chocolate and gooey marshmallow combined with graham crackers are just the best camping dessert ever.
Why are S’mores called S’mores?
Have you ever wondered why s’mores are so popular? Obviously, it is the taste! All that chocolate goodness and marshmallow between two graham crackers. It is the ultimate camping dessert sandwich. This recipe is not handheld, but you can eat it with your hands. It is the most popular post on this blog.
Where did s’more originate? Nobody knows who initially invented them, but they first appeared in print in a Girl Scout publication in 1927. That credit goes to Loretta Scott Crew, who made ‘some mores’ by the campfire. Somewhere along the way, it got shortened to s’ mores. When you see the name of our blog, you know that we love that play on words!
Get the full recipe at the bottom of this post along with other favorite camping recipes.
Everyone’s Favorite Camping Dessert
We really love to eat, especially desserts. Who doesn’t? We have created all sorts of camping sweets. There is our S’mores with Peeps and S’mores with Chocolate Frosting, but now we bring you grilled S’more Nachos.
For some reason, food just tastes better when it is cooked over the campfire. Why is that?
It is something that we have not been able to figure it out. We just go with it and create new camping recipes, that we like to share with you.
Grilled S’mores Nachos Recipe
These grilled s’mores are cooked over the campfire, on the grill, or in an oven at home.
If you are making these out at the campground and the fire pit does not come with a grate, use a portable one.
We make these dessert nachos in an 8″x8″ foil pan. If you have a large family, you will want to make more in a larger pan. Everyone will want more, so maybe even two large pans.
We discovered that this recipe is just as good at home on the grill or in the oven.
Grilling Instructions: We recommend that you make this recipe in a cast iron skillet when cooking on a grill. We do not top it with foil when we use this skillet. We grilled these for about 7 minutes on our cast iron gas grill, but it could take longer depending on how hot your grill is. Keep a close eye on it to make sure it does not burn.
Oven Baking Instructions: Like with the grill, we recommend that you make this in a heavy skillet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10+ minutes. You can get the marshmallows extra crispy by moving them to a rack high in the oven for a minute or two after it has baked. Keep a very close eye on the oven so that the marshmallows do not burn.
Camping Dessert Nachos
The fun thing about this recipe is that is very adaptable, not only in how it is prepared but also with the ingredients. We love to have a Deluxe S’mores Nacho bar with a variety of toppings. All the different options are set out and we let everyone customize their own pan of nachos. We love to use caramel bits, mint chips, bananas, peanut butter, strawberry jam, and sprinkles in addition to the marshmallows, chocolate, and graham crackers. Just layer the ingredients you want. Can you think of an ingredient that we left out?
Diana’s very favorite way to enjoy these nachos is with pretzel chips, strawberry jam, and caramel bits. Strawberry and caramel are such an amazing combination that goes so well with the chocolate. These amazing tastes are enhanced with the salt on the pretzels. Look at that gooey goodness!
By now you are sure to be salivating. We hope that you enjoy this great camping dessert as much as we do!
Vegan S’mores Nachos
If you are vegan, you can still enjoy this tasty camping treat. Instead of regular marshmallows use Dandies. You can usually find vegan chocolate chips at or your local market. A few popular graham crackers are vegan, but check the ingredients to make sure.
Check out all of our camping desserts.
More Campfire Recipes You Will Love
Grilled Walking Taco Nachos
Giant Cinnamon Roll
Grilled Peach Crisp
Bacon-Wrapped Cheese Dogs
Bacon Wrapped Mozzarella Sticks
Campfire Pizza Sandwiches
Dutch Oven Dump Cake
- graham crackers
- mini marshmallows
- regular marshmallows
- chocolate chips
- Break up graham crackers and spread them in the bottom of your foil pan.
- The number of crackers you use will depend on the size of your pan.
- We use two cinnamon graham crackers in our 8 by 8 in foil pan.
- We have made this with regular and cinnamon graham crackers, but we like the cinnamon better.
- Sprinkle mini marshmallows on top of the graham crackers.
- Scatter chocolate chip on top of the graham crackers.
- Repeat with another layer of the three ingredients.
- Place more chocolate chips on top along with a few regular size marshmallows.
- Cover the pan with a piece of heavy duty foil, making sure to wrap it tightly around the edges of the pan.
- Place the pan on the grate of a grill or over the campfire. Get grill and oven directions above in the post.
- Like with regular s'mores, we find this grills best over coals as opposed to active flames.
- Cook until the marshmallows and chocolate melted.
- You can lift a corner of the foil to make sure it's melted, or just use your nose to smell the chocolate.
- Just make sure not to burn it.
- Carefully remove the pan from the fire.
- Take off the foil lid and enjoy.
Please let us know how your s'mores turn out by leaving a comment or photo here on Pinterest.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 220